Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I like making BAGS!

 


I have a great love for bags. My friend DeDee could attest to this. I love to buy them and make them. My mother also has a passion for them. This weekend our quilt guild had a workshop on making a simple tote that could be altered in many ways. I jumped on the chance to take this class. Not because I needed instruction on the how-to part of making bags but for two reasons.
1) I love to gain new ideas by seeing others completed works.
2) Who turns down the opportunity to sew with friends. Not Me!
Here is the bags that my mom and I made this weekend. You can tell our different tastes by just glancing at these bags.

Here is a close up view of my mom's bag. We have had this Asian cat fabric for a long time. We thought we might use it for a pillowcase but this project seemed more fitting. You can't see it in the picture but her front pocket his three divisions. The font and the back is the same. 
The teacher of this class wanted everyone to use a light fabric for the inside so it would be easier to find things inside. Well being the rebels that we are we choose differently. I have had this blue for for years and could never find a use for it. This was the perfect use. The fabric looks like it was made for this project. (Or atleast I think so.) She again added multiple pockets on the inside. 














So here you can see my bag. I used ACU tops that I purchased off of some of my husbands soldiers. It only cost me one homemade pie apiece. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself. I sewed velcro on the front of one of my pockets so I could add a name tape. The font and back of my bag has two pockets on each side. I did not put as many pockets as mom did. This for me was just a quick fun try a new pattern bag. It is a great basic bag that can be altered and I plan to alter it plenty in the future. 

4 comments:

  1. I love making bags too.....One thing I like is mixing up the fabrics and embellishing! I am your partner for the pillow swap and I just wanted to come say hi....I think it will be fun to make you something pretty! Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your cousin I can attest to the fact that you love bags... kind of irony I have started collecting bags for shopping... : ) did you wear off on me? humm and my fabric stash... O my! Ugh and I have 3 quilts to finish... I think it is just I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you too!! I hope to be able to see you when I come thru this summer. I am also looking forward to our sewing retreat in Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bags! I love your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete